Sunday, September 11, 2011

a sister's fairytale.



      

    "Goblin Market", by Christina Rossetti was full of amazing description and imagery.  It was the poem that really caught my attention, and stood out.  It's a story full of lust, love and giving in to temptation.  How a young girl couldn't resist the goblins, even though she knew it to be wrong.  "Laura bow'd her head to hear," (Rossetti's "Goblin Market" line 34) yet her sister knows not to and doesn't give in, "Lizzie veil'd her blushes:" (Rossetti's "Goblin Market" line 35) At the end, after Laura had given in to the goblins (who turn out to be evil after feeding her fruits that turned her close to death)
" She dwindled, as the fair full moon doth turn
To swift decay and burn
Her fire away. " (Rossetti's "Goblin Market" lines 278-280) Lizzie braved the goblins and saved her sister.  This is the main point that I loved about the poem.  A girl loved her sister so much that she put herself in danger to save her.  I have a sister, and I know that we would do the same for each other.  It's an amazing bond and I could really relate.  I also loved the image that the author put into it.  It was a fantasy land with copious amounts of descriptive words. 
       From lines 3 to 31, she opens up the world of the goblins where I could see, smell, and taste their fruits.  
"Sweet to tongue and sound to eye; 
Come buy, come." (Rossetti's "Goblin Market" lines 30 & 31)  This line makes me want to be there.  It's inciting, which is what the goblins are.  They ARE temptation.  I could list hundreds of lines where I felt I was really there.  I could see Laura and Lizzie. 
" Golden head by golden head, 
Like two pigeons in one nest 
Folded in each other's wings, " (Rossetti's "Goblin Market" lines 184-186) Two young women with smooth skin and beautiful curls.  It was a picture painted in my mind amazingly.  I loved the poem, the lesson it told, and the love felt in the happy ending.  I sat imagining the goblins, first happy, then mean and full of hate.  I saw Laura being young and pretty, then eating the fruit and then growing old looking. It was emotional and sad when the goblins tried frying the fruit to Lizzie,
"They trod and hustled her,
Elbow'd and jostled her,
Claw'd with their nails,
Barking, mewing, hissing, mocking,
Tore her gown and soil'd her stocking,
Twitch'd her hair out by the roots,
Stamp'd upon her tender feet,
Held her hands and squeez'd their fruits
Against her mouth to make her eat." (Rossetti's "Goblin Market" lines 399-407)
Yet, by the end it was bright and happy again.  
"Laura awoke as from a dream,
Laugh'd in the innocent old way,
Hugg'd Lizzie but not twice or thrice;
Her gleaming locks show'd not one thread of grey,
Her breath was sweet as May
And light danced in her eyes." (Rossetti's "Goblin Market" lines 537-542)

      It was a fairytale from start to finish full of metaphors like, " Her locks stream'd like the torch" (Rossetti's "Goblin Market" line 500) with a vital lesson to be learned.


Poem: "Goblin Market" by Christina Rossetti April, 1859
Photo: therainbownotebook.blogspot.com


No comments:

Post a Comment